Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nov 28th Commute - crossing it up



A good buddy of mine loaned me his cyclocross bike to try.  I finally decided to give it a try.  He had graciously added a rack to the back so I could strap my messenger bag back there and get it off my back.  Thus stopping the sweat build up under the bag.  Having gears was different.  My trip time was still about the same.  I blame that on the fact that I haven't ridden in a few weeks.  By the top of the hill I was suffering pretty good.  Not terrible but, you can defiantly tell I haven't been on two wheels in awhile.  I need more time on the bike but for one I think I'd want wider bars.  Maybe this weekend I can get out on it a bit and see if a CX bike is in my future.

Temp - 18 degrees

Me:
Head - 6 OK(Used a lighter balaclava and fleece buff neck wrap)
Hands - 8 Cold(I have no idea why, but my fingers were fine today even thou it was cooler.)
Chest - 8 Hot(I wore on jacket over my tshirt and it was fine.  Still a little sweating going on)
Legs - 7 fine (They were chilly until I warmed up)
Feet - 7 fine (Keen boots with bike socks)
Overall Physical feel - 5 (Wow I haven't been riding in a bit)

Bike ratings as follows.  One will mean total equipment failure.  Ten means it totally served it's purpose and I need to write more positive reviews on it.

Bike: Redline Conquest Pro
Tires - 8(Skinny and fast)
Brakes  - 8(Not a sound)
Drivetrain - 7(Shifting was sluggish in the cold)
Overall/Other - 5(Not sure if I like the CX bike or not.  It's the first ride but it's a much different position then I'm use too.  The Monocog is much more like a easy chair.)

Total Score: 69

Things to change - Ride more, gloves are fine.

Things I noticed -  Wow, that was a great sunrise.

No comments: