Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Here we go again or 650b the other white meat or Where did I accumulate so much Karma?

     In the last few weeks I've been trying to nail down what I'm going to ride in Odin's revenge.  If you follow my blog or know me on Facebook, you've seen the updates and changes I've been making to a old 1999 Specialized Rockhopper.  Different handle bars, changed the brakes, lighter fork, and I was hunting for new tires.  Well a wrench has been thrown into those plans.  It's a golden wrench, but a wrench none the less.  The thrower of said wrench is Mr.Yip.
     Renold Yip founder and owner of Yipsan cycles contacted me and asked if I'd like to ride one of his steel steads for the race.  He and I had talked many times over the last few years about his frames, riding, tire size, etc. He knew I'd been wanting a custom frame for some time.  So when he saw that I was riding in Odin's revenge this summer he decided to offer up one of his bikes.  Since I was heading to the front range to pick up a frame for my youngest son, we scheduled a meet.  To see if the fit was right for me and discuss the specifics of the bike.
    Talking at Renold is always fun.  Like talking to most other bikers, you share a common thread.  Yet with Renold, you always end up learning a little something.  At least for me it seems this way.  Some reasoning for having a certain part a certain way.  It's probably the same if you talk to other frame builders.  Like having a artist explain what they were trying to get across in there painting.  It's a personal thing to the creator.  Things are sometimes interpreted differently by the on looker or missed altogether.  There were quite a few light bulb moments talking to him about the design of his bike.  Things I just don't see.  Mainly cause I'm just drooling all over, blinded by all the custom steel tubed beauties in his shop.
    In the end I drove away with one of Renolds creations on the roof of my car.  A shiny steel 650b stead.  To use and maybe in the future buy.(lol...maybe)  So I have a gas can and tangler bag coming for it.  Move my dirt drop bars over.  Mount my light and GPS.  Get a set of suitable tires.  Then ride ride ride.  I have no idea what lucky star I stumbled under to get offered this bike.  Driving away from Renolds house all I could think of was that there is no way I had accumulated enough karma to warrant being loaned such a cool bike.  A huge thanks to Renold for letting me ride a piece of art.






No comments: